Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Project Update- Initial Research

Hello fellow geographers, environmental educators and nature lovers! I am thrilled you are following the progress of my GIS project whether by choice or obligation. 

There is little to report thus far. In an excel file, I have begun to assemble the list of education centers to be included in the final map. The excel file also includes research that will become fields in the attribute table and will be included in the interactive pop-ups on the final map.  Fields include organization, hours of operation, admission fee, and services provided at the center. I am also considering adding a field describing the type of ecosystem the center focuses on. If there are any suggestions on other fields that might be helpful to visitors, please feel free to leave them in the comments section. 

By next week, I hope to have a complete excel file with all the needed information. I will also have all the picture I intend to include in the attribute pop-ups. (That should make my next post a little more exciting!) The next step will be converting the street addresses for each center into GPS coordinate points that can be mapped. I hope to have a real map to share with you in a few weeks! 

3 comments:

  1. Julia... first off, I just want to say that I love your project idea! As a fellow student interested in the field of Environmental Interpretation, I think it's a great idea to map out all the resources your home state has! Looking forward to see how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really good project idea Julia, I absolutely agree that one of the best ways to get the environmentally-challenged to care and understand their impacts on the local environment it through education. Its cool that you also have the categories you are going to list in your attribute table, I, on the other hand, have not really given that any thought yet. Looking forward to seeing your maps and being able to know everything about each eduction center in RI.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Any updates, Julia? A goal for the Works-in-Progress presentations might be to have all of your draft maps completed so you can get feedback from the class.
    -Dr. M

    ReplyDelete